Ah, the New Year is here and it's beginning was celebrated quite fondly with family, friends and fireworks. I gave the two year old a sparkler which she promptly used to catch Katie's pants on fire, and Jeff got his first ever New Year Eve Stroke-of Midnight-so-it's-Actually-New-Year's-Day-Kiss.
So begins 2008.
There is nothing better to start the New Year off with the annual Davis tradition of playing paintball. Nothing smells or tastes sweeter on that first New Day of the New Year than a freshly shot paintball at your face. As I type this, I wince in pain from a clean shot to the hand that made my poor finger bubble up and bruise as bad as an old banana (we thought my finger was broken for a while there... it wouldn't move, but since I was only bleeding a little no one gave me any sympathy and we kept playing). The games this year were pretty exciting, as usual the ref's lost their voices screaming, "PUT YOUR MASK DOWN! PUT YOUR MASK DOWN!!! I SAID.... " and "OUT! STOP SHOOTING! LET HIM OUT!" Blake Rhalston outdid himself again by running into a radioactive bush with bizarrely giant thorns and barely escaped with his life. His pants and leg looked like they had been mauled by a puma. I'm not sure how Blake manages to get mortally wounded on a daily basis, but somehow he does. Fortunately, Whitney was on the scene and using her EMT skills, said "Yup, that looks ugly." She then walked away and we continued playing while Blake attempted to band aid himself up and limp back into the game. And as usual, 10yr old Tucker offered some friendly fire. Apparently when Doug yelled, "Cover me!" Tucker misunderstood that for "Spray me with paint balls from behind when I run in front of you!" Tucker kept saying, "It's not my fault! He ran into my line of fire!" Another funny part of the day was when Jeff stood up from behind cover, and as I turned around I saw him get nailed right in the head with a paintball. It's a good thing he hasn't cut his hair six months so I think he was well insulated. I was pretty proud of myself, I have minor battle wounds, and halfway through one game already out of paint and Co2, managed to stay in til the end, keep the enemy occupied with blank fires and then did a suicide run and managed to barrel tag the last guy in on the other team. Jeff had a blast too, he was excited to go home and enjoy steak while talking about the glory of the battles.
So 2008 has had a beautiful start, and we'd like to wish everyone the best of luck in life and love for this New Year. God bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment