Sunday, June 26, 2011

This is For Nancy

Nancy-I just thought you should know I've practiced dropping my sister's children before I had Twistan. That way when I drop him, I've had practice.
Andie was just sitting up on her own when I babysat her one afternoon. Although pregnant, my house was not full of baby stuff. For her nap, I laid her down on my bed. I heard her making some noise, so I sent Jeff to get her. "Why is she on the floor!?" he asked. Oops. I didn't know she rolled.
A little while later she got hungry. I sat her on the table to feed her a banana. She got so excited about the banana she flapped her arms, and then promptly fell backwards smacking her head on my table.
I had to take the dog for a quick run. I left Andie with Jeff-he didn't want to hold her for twenty minutes, so he put her in the baby swing where she happily played for a bit. .... when I got home she was crying and he was trying to comfort her. Apparently she rolls a LOT and someone didn't clip her into the swing.
Finally, after a very tramatic afternoon with her Aunt she finally got to go home. As Jeff went to put her in the car seat he smacked her head on the handle. Whoops.
Through all of this you would think I would know better, but apparently I'm not with the program at four am. Twistan needed a new diaper, so I laid him on the sofa, well, I thought it was the sofa but it was actually the small sofa pillow. ( ... it was dark... I was tired... ) At least I've learned to always have one hand on the baby, and it's a good thing too! He rolled off and I found myself holding my six week old baby, upside down by one leg.
I swear I try to be so careful, but honestly I'm kind of a klutz. I feel for the kid... I do. Which, from now on, I will always adhere to my Mom's advice when diapering and letting him sleep somewhere other than the crib.
"There's never been a documented case of a child rolling or falling off the floor."

Love Anna

No comments: