Monday, July 11, 2011

Learning to Like Running

In the past I've referred to my efforts at being a runner as "wogging." That's because I really walk and jog, not so much on the running part.
Recently I've had a couple friends ask how to be motivated to start running, especially since we all want to lose weight. And someone else just left a note on their blog-I ended up commenting and leaving her a novel instead of just saying, "Tell ya what, I'll post about it." But anyway, I am going to post about it.
I never liked running in high school or college, I'm not great at distance, and I feel that my short legs have a hard time keeping up with whoever I am running with. In college, I'd only run because it was the cheapest and quickest way to exercise. When I lived in Provo I actually started to like it. I'd drive up by the temple and jog up the canyon almost daily for most of the summer. It was a quick way to get in a good hike when I was short on time. In Hawaii, I'd run on the beaches barefoot-way more fun than the sand traps during soccer training. And much prettier. In Idaho, I just ran the streets and the parks-I loved down town Rexburg and enjoyed getting to see all the sites up close. I especially loved jogging during devotional-since it was broadcast on the local radio I'd take my headphones and mini radio and listened while I jogged. I usually didn't have much time between school and work so it was a two-fer.
Once you start running, I've noticed it's addicting. I know after I start running, the day I skip I find myself envying people I see out on the trails, or just longing to be outside running. I don't enjoy treadmill running-it makes me feel like a rat on a wheel. It's also less effective, studies show that people who run outside tend to run longer and faster.
So how do you start running? And how do you start liking it? Well-I know running can become addicting. I know too many fellow runners who used to hate it, but now find they can't stand to miss a day. But, whether or not they LOVE it is probably dependent on your attitude.... if you give running a shot, chances are after a few weeks you won't hate it so much if you run regularly. I found that I fell in love during early morning runs, when the world was fresh after a long night, the birds were singing, and the sun was barely coming up over the trees. I don't even use my Ipod then-I just like to listen to the sounds. It was calm, I felt like I could think, and when I got home I showered and got ready for the day. I didn't have this feeling of "Ugh, I need to exercise" hanging over my head. I was already done for the day and ready to go. There is another reason I've noticed people don't like to run-and I know at least six people who have experienced this. Shortly into their run, they have the need to "go." That's normal. Moving your body gets everything going... but don't sweat it. Find a loop that has a bathroom along the route, and take comfort that after running regularly, your body will stop doing that to you in the middle of your runs.
So how do you start running?? I am not a personal trainer, but I found what worked for me was to pick a distance, but nothing short of a mile. Then you do your best jogging pace. If you're super out of shape, walk it. If you are half way in shape, half jog it. But just go the whole mile. And, depending on what condition you are in, I always would add another half mile regardless of how long it would take me to do it. I just wanted to be able to say, "I did two miles." Or "I did three miles." Once I got to three miles, I would work on my time. Where it used to take me forty-five minutes, I once did it in twenty-nine. That's not incredibly fast, but I felt accomplished. After I had mastered the three mile loop and was running that at least three or four times a week, I upped my goal. One day I just clocked five miles on the car, and then when I went to go jogging, decided I was going to go five miles. Everyone is different, and your fitness shape will determine how fast your pace is, but just set a goal. "I want to walk twenty minutes a day five days a week." "I want to run a 5k." "I want to run a half marathon." Any goal you want-just stick to it... and don't sweat the days you dread getting out there-if it's that bad don't go the whole distance, but just get out there. You'll feel better and be glad you did. You can't grow if you don't get out of your comfort zone.
There are a few random things that have helped me with running.... I'll just share them as I think of them.
  • Oxygen is important for your body-if you start to itch while you're running its because your body needs more air! While jogging, breathe in two steps, breath out two steps.
  • When you feel like walking-just jog slower. Just keep moving as much as you can.
  • To increase speed, add sprints to your workout. Use google-it's a great tool.
  • Keep track of your runs-it feels good to see what you've accomplished.
  • If you decide to enter a race (I strongly suggest it, its SO fun.. even if you're shy or don't think you're capable, you'd be surprised how many people feel like that), pick a race that is within a couple months, register far in advance and get ready to go! Again, google how much and how often you need to run to be ready for what you signed up for.
  • People who listen to music while running tend to run farther-bust out the walkman! But don't have it so loud you can't hear anything.
  • When you start running farther than about three miles, consider a running belt (the ones with water bottles)... I love mine.
  • Don't just drink water-you're losing more than just water when you sweat a lot and actually need something like Gatorade to fix that!
  • DRINK A TON OF WATER! If you have to pee, you have to pee. But you'll severely damage your organs if you don't. Also, drink during the work out if its really hot, or you're running father than (this is for my body) five miles. It's not healthy to not do that.
  • If you start doing half marathons, use "goos!" They're awesome, and good for your body. But don't wait til race day to try them out, practice during long runs... because if you get the vanilla raspberry flavor and discover its disgustingly sweet and makes your head spin, race day is not a good day to find that out.
  • I eat before I run-but only something like toast and peanut butter. Nothing too full of sugar and sloshy. Once I ate a chocolate bar and went for a jog at three in the afternoon in August, in Houston. It's the closest I've come to puking during a work out.
  • Find a good loop to run. Then, if you get halfway and decide that running sucks and you want to go home, there's no way to back out.
  • GET GOOD SHOES. I repeat, GET GOOD SHOES. If you're on a budget, go to an expensive store and have them fit you. Then, find the shoes at an outlet store or online. Aesic brand is good for almost anyone, but ten to run narrower than New Balance. Nike's aren't for everyone, but neither are Reebok. Once you know what you like, try runningwarehouse.com-free shipping
  • If you find your legs chaffing, get new shorts. If that doesn't help, get that body glide stuff. Or, use Vaseline. You'll be OK.
  • If your legs start cramping on long runs (the first this happened to me it was my nine mile run) have a little salt! I carried those fast food salt packets in my running belt-when I got a cramp I just opened one up, dumped it on my gross sweaty hand and licked it up. Gross, right? But I didn't care at the time and it made the cramp go away.
  • Cute running clothes make you feel good, but they're not necessary. But, they make you feel good. I run better in my breathable fabric tank tops. They're just fun.
  • Gotta go while you're running? I couldn't go more than a mile when I was pregnant. I can recommend some good bushes.
  • I bought a that Nike running watch. It has a built in pedometer that tracks your distance, calories, and pace. When you are done, you plug it into the computer and it keeps track of all your runs. I mostly love that watch. There are a few others I'd like, but for the price I think I'm alright with that one. It motivates me not to stop and walk or I'll mess up my pace time. Having a toy like that makes me feel guilty if it sits on the counter too long.
  • When you hit a rut, change up your running routine. Find a new trail-add some sprints, do lunges, but just get out there and do it. Learn to push yourself. I never thought I'd do a half marathon pregnant, with three months of training but I did :) Of course, I was regularly running three miles so that helped, but if I can do it, anyone can.
  • And find a friend to run with. I find during the week its easier to go on my own, but its so much fun to meet up with friends on Saturday mornings at the crack of dawn. And, it's safer to be in a group. Or find a friend you admire-I like to see what Connie and Shelby are doing-they motivate me to run. If I feel like walking I think, "That's not how Connie trained for her big relay run... " or "If I am going running with Shelby, I'd better be able to keep up!" And instead of walking, I'll slow my pace.
  • Also, there are horror stories out there of women being raped while jogging. I bought some pepper spray (make sure you can clip it to your shorts) and always take that. I always take my phone.
  • And, when I can, I like to borrow a big dog. Running with a dog not only helps the dog owner out, but I doubt anyone is going to mess with you when you got him by your side. I know Chunky is a sweetie, and he can go on a three mile run, but I don't think he'll scare anyone away.
So there you have it-there is my novel on getting started running and little things I've learned along the way. I hope it helps.

Love Anna

8 comments:

M and W said...

You should check out mapmyrun.com.

Connie and Brandon said...

great novel!! I'm glad you have really gotten into running. Way to keep up the hard work and push through the bumps that running gives you!

Unknown said...

Love, love, love your thoughts, experience and insight on running! It has motivated me completely (and yes I copied your post so I can refer to it later :) Can't wait to put your good advice to work!

Amber Masters said...

hey boo. you should read born to run.

Tonia said...

This is a lot of good input. I started running in junior high. I tend to get out of doing it and then when I start again I realize how much I missed it. I am not a fast runner. The first mile is always a killer for me but then something clicks and I get in my groove. I love that feeling.

Matt and Haley said...

Great advice on everything. I'm one of those people that always has "to go" on a run, and I'm not talking about peeing. I wish I could say that after 3 years of serious running and a half and full marathon under my belt that my body has "regulated" and the problem has gone away. It hasn't. It's definitely gotten better though. When I trained for my marathon with Woodlands Fit, I knew where all the bathroom stops were on the trail. In fact the coaches started including that information on the routes just for me! Also, I personally do not like the goos so much. I'm a big fan of the sports jelly beans or the fruit snacks type are yummy too. I learned the hard way that it's just worth it to be fitted and buy good running shoes as well. I ended up wasting $75 because I didn't do it right the first time.

Angela (Turner) Howland said...

Great words of wisdom, Anna. I'm not sure I'll ever be a runner or lover of it, but I definitely have some good advice to go on should I choose to start!

Natalie said...

thank you. i really needed that. Tonight is my 3rd time running in....forever. and i can never find the energy or will power to run. this helped a lot. i hate running.