This picture has nothing to do with shots. I just can't get over him in his little pin stripe suit-I did leave the matching tie off though. He would have just ate it.
Twistan was going to get shots yesterday. He's supposedly already behind on them as is... but I am still up in the air on how I really feel about immunizing my tiny baby. I am a little wary because of the autism studies-regardless of the fact that the one guy who instigated a lot of the scare recanted his study. Blahblahblah, whatever you want to say defending either side, autism went up as the age in which kids got shots went down. That being said, I know a lot more kids who didn't have issues with shots than those who did. ... Although you can't prove it was the shots that did anything, either. It's just a "what if" kind of deal. And, it's not like I want my kid coming down with whooping cough, I want him immunized. I am just not sure what age is the best age. The nurse that saw us first was interesting-when I asked her about shots and what she thought, she almost looked over her shoulder and then whispered what she thought. Apparently she normally works for another doctor (in the same office) who is heavily involved in Autism research, and she said she wasn't huge on immunizing little babies. But, my doctor acted like I was a terrible parent because I hadn't immunized him yet. Thoughts on this, anyone? Anyone else iffy, or am I alone in this and just getting one step closer to my cabin in Montana off the grid? ;)
Oh! Percentiles. I am not huge into this-but Jeff was there and needed to know if his kid was going to be a midget like his Mom (since four months is a predictable age for this kind of stuff), or a strapping lad like his Dad. He's 75th for height, 25th for weight, and 50 or 60 something for head. Apparently he'll be a gumby-tall, skinny and lots of brains.
6 comments:
Drs. are always good at making parents feel worthless, stupid or horrible. It must be a class they take in their 5th year of medicine. As for the charts...it'll change by the time he's two, or sooner. You're a great mom!
I am with you...not totally sure about the immunizations and what is the best age. But my doctor has two little kiddos of her own. I asked what she did personally, since I know that she does this everyday and is the most informed. She had her kids immunized. That gave me comfort, and now I don't stress about it. I love my doctor! Do whatever you feel comfortable with.
Yeah, I was prob the least favorite mother at the hospital when Easton came. I don't care if I go against the grain with my kid, so I was denying all sorts of things. When shots came up, well I hesitated and denied them at first. Then i ended up starting them a bit later. My philosophy is, your the mom and you are going to look out for your child better than anyone. You seem well informed too! No matter what one dr says, there is sure to be another to contradict. On such subjects, I think it's totally up to you!
You asked for input, so here's the condensed version:
Immunizations directly affect the nervous system, the nervous system is not fully developed for 2 years.... 'Immunize by 2, it's up to you'- marketing slogan by pharmaceutical companies that are ultimately looking our for their own profits - not your kids health. I personally advocate waiting as long as your kid isn't at risk of exposure in the mean time. Think about when you plan on putting him in school and then developing your own schedule to have them done by that time.
My mom waited to start immunizing us until we were 6 months. I started my kids at 2 months, but I'm totally not opposed to starting them a bit later - as long as they have everything they need before school. If they're in day care though, that might be a different story. I do limit the amount of shots I let my kids get at one time. Honestly, how many immunizations can one little body handle at a time?
dr sears has an alternative schedule.
http://www.mothering.com/community/t/995581/dr-sears-vaccine-schedule
i also plan on picking and choosing shots-no flu, ABSOLUTELY NO HEP B (seeing as i DO NOT have an std), no chicken pox, no HPV. and i will do them one at a time.
Post a Comment