Thursday, June 21, 2012

How To Resize a Picture in Windows 7

Back in the day I used to have an image resizer, when I upgraded to Windows 7 I thought I'd lost it, but thankfully I found another one! I know a few people who are running out of storage room on their blogs because they have uploaded too many pictures. I know some people who get super, super frustrated and don't post often because it takes years for their photos to upload. This post will teach you to cut your upload time in half and make life a million times easier. I will suggest though, that when you are uploading your photos to a printing site or for archiving that you upload the original photo so your image quality is not messed with, if you do, you might see that obnoxious warning sign that your resolution is too low.

Anyway, to resize your photos, go to this site and follow the instructions on how to down load this amazing little application:

Windows Resizer for Windows 7

I can not guarantee that it does not have a virus, but I can tell you that my virus scanner checked it out and gave me the OK, and I have used it for months without any issues. I am not sure what operating system you had, but I have the 64 bit so that's what I downloaded.  If you try one and it doesn't work, go with the other one. Once it has downloaded and installed on your computer, this is how you use it.
Right click on the photo you want to resize. When the grey menu bar comes up, select "Resize Pictures." Notice it says pictures? Yes. You can select multiple photos and resize them all at once. To do so, click on the first photo you want resized. Then, when you see another photo you want resized, hold CTRL down and then click the next photo. You can select as many photos as you want. Then right click and select "Resize Pictures" from the grey menu.
A new window will pop up and you will see several options for picture sizes.  Choose what will best be suited for your needs.  For blogger, I usually choose small or medium.  For email, I choose large.  Now, the good news is that the file name is going to stay the same, you will not lose the original photo.  It will save a new photo and add the size you chose in parentheses.
You can see here the original photo, and the resized photo next to it.  I would suggest resizing your pictures and then trying to upload them.  It makes it much easier to find the right photos-all you have to do is look for the resized (small) name!

You are welcome :)

Love Anna

1 comment:

Teresa said...

Tyler shared another trick with me. I had been turning the pictures one by one. Instead, while viewing the thumbnail pics in the folder, click on each pic that needs to be turned the same way (clockwise or counter-clockwise) using the "ctrl" button to help select each picture THEN right click your mouse and chose "rotate clockwise (or counter-clockwise). It should then rotate them for you, can take a minute or so, be patient. Wow, saves me so much time! Good blog, by the way.