I write posts like this a LOT. Most of the time they end up in draft because I think better of it and don't publish it, but I am pregnant, and hungry and I want Chic Fil A but it's Sunday and the straw broke the camels back.
I believe as a Christian that we should respect other's beliefs. In fact, as a Mormon one of our core beliefs is written as "We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may." What I take from that is that it is none of my business what you choose to do in your religion, because you have the God given right to believe what you want. I can teach you what I know and if you like it, then great, but if you still want to believe that you will reincarnate as a frog in the next life, that's your choice.
I also believe that church should be as welcoming as possible. We recently had 8am church. I don't know about you, but I have one little two year old who hasn't got anywhere to go but where I take him. That means he usually doesn't wake up until 8. That means I don't usually wake up until 8. That means when Sunday rolls around, it's not pretty dragging his butt, my butt and anyone else's butt out of bed at an ungodly hour to make them sit through 3 hours of church. I'll be honest, we were rarely on time. Should we as saints make every effort to be there right at 8am? Yes. Does life happen? Yes. Is it your responsibility to freak out that half the ward shows up at 8:30? No. How do you know that one of those people who walked in late wasn't an inactive member, who woke up at 8am and thought, "Darn, I'm late, but I guess I will still go." Shouldn't they be welcomed? Shouldn't we be glad they came? Should we humiliate them and make them do the walk of shame to the only open seat on the front row? No. Let's open the overflow BEFORE church starts so we don't have to be rude and disruptive to the speaker, and so that those families who aren't as stellar as you are can still have a seat. Because guess what, God loves them every bit as much as he loves you.
Are you a stellar visiting teacher? Do you do your calling every week no matter how hard your life at home is? Congrats. God will bless you. Way to go, champ. Our church honestly counts on people like you, we need people to do their callings. But let's just be kind to everyone else who might not be so great at what they have been asked to do. You don't know what demons they have in their life, be kind, for everyone is fighting a hard battle. Or, maybe you know they don't have any demons and they just don't care to do what they've been asked to do. Guess what-that's between them and God. You sitting there judging them just makes you look self righteous and that you have a holier than thou attitude, and let me tell you, that doesn't make you any better than they are... I don't remember the last time God high fived someone for being judgmental and unkind. All the blessings you just got for doing your calling were negated the minute you started bad mouthing your fellow saint.
Do you make comments about other Mormon's clothing or activities? Well, that's another thing. When you get to the pearly gates do you think for one second St. Peter is going to ask "Did you make sure Sister So and So was in a one piece at the pool party? DID YOU????" Or do you think he is going to ask you what you wore? .... (answer: he is going to ask you what you wore...) You are not going to be judged for what Betsy Smith wore, but you will be judged for what you said and thought about others.
I guess I just do not understand why anyone would care what anyone else does? I mean, yes we all love good gossip, but in the end when it comes to things like who is at church on time, and what other religions believe, and who does or does not do their calling... why do you care? What does that benefit you to stick your nose in the air and act like you're so angelic because you've got 100% visiting teaching 2 years in a row? ...even if you had to chase someone down at the grocery store and corner them in the bathroom. I personally can't think of the last time I gave a rat's @$$ about people who came late to church. I can't even think the last time I noticed. I am just glad to see that the chapel filled up! Isn't that what is important? Do we freak out on the ninety and nine sheep that are in the flock that they all brought their scriptures and read the lesson for Relief Society? No. We look for the one lost sheep and hope they actually get to the watering hole, even if they were too busy eating clover. If they brought their scriptures that's a plus, but mostly we're just glad we got that last little sheep to the watering hole. They can work on bringing their scriptures and reading the lesson when their testimony strengthens. For now, we can just accept that everyone is on different levels, and your job is to make yourself the best person you can be, not to make everyone else's lives harder.
Get a grip people... no... get a Christian attitude. Stop being so mean to your fellow saints. Let them be 20 minutes late to church, maybe they got puked on and had to change clothes. If that were me, I might stay home. Or maybe they weren't going to even go to church and changed their mind. Applaud the fact they came. Help them find somewhere they can sit and not feel so stupid for being late. We don't want people to feel stupid, we want them to know they are loved. Be glad that your testimony is strong enough you get up and do the things God has asked us to do. Not everyone is there yet. Some people need more time. But be kind, help them, stop being so judgmental and just praise the things they do right.
No comments:
Post a Comment